Pennsylvania Communication Association Pre-Conference
“Thomas Merton & Philosophy of Communication:
A Centennial Celebration of His Work”
September 25-26, 2014
Submission Deadline: July 1, 2014
January 31, 2015, will mark the 100th anniversary of the birth of Thomas Merton. The pre-conference theme, “Thomas Merton & Philosophy of Communication: A Centennial Celebration of His Work,” invites an exploration of the significant contribution that Merton’s work has made over the last century. Scholarly examination of Merton’s philosophy of communication is encouraged through an exploration of his life and his philosophical essays. Proposals exploring the historical context of Merton’s work in relation to the contemporary historical moment are encouraged.
Dr. Patrick F. O’Connell, Professor in the Departments of Theology and English at Gannon University (Erie, PA), will keynote the pre-conference.
Scholars from related disciplines are invited to submit papers, extended abstracts, and panel proposals for possible inclusion in the conference to Pat Arneson (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Papers no longer than 25 pages in length are preferred. Extended abstracts (including Works Cited) will be considered. Submissions should include:
• A detachable title page with the title of the paper and the author’s affiliation, mailing address, telephone number, email address, and institutional affiliation.
• The word “debut” marked on all papers written by authors who have not presented previously at any communication convention or conference. The word “student” for all graduate or undergraduate authored papers.
• A one-page abstract on the second page.
• A Statement of Professional Responsibility (see below) on the second page.
• If the paper has multiple authors, please indicate who will be presenting at the conference.
• Submissions of panel proposals should include:
• A thematic title for the program.
• Names of the chairs and respondents.
• Names, mailing addresses, telephone number, email address, and institutional affiliations of all participants.
• Titles and abstracts of no more than 150 words for each paper or presentation.
• A Statement of Professional Responsibility (see below).
• A detailed rationale for the program or panel.
STATEMENT OF PROFESSIONAL RESPONSIBILITY
Please include the following Statement of Professional Responsibility under the paper or panel abstract:
“In submitting the attached paper or proposal, I/We recognize that this submission is considered a professional responsibility. I/We agree to present this panel or paper if it is accepted and programmed. I/We further recognize that all who attend and present at PCA’s annual meeting must register and pay required fees.”
There will be access to AV equipment at the conference. Please submit special AV requests at the time of notification of acceptance to present at the conference.
Registration information will be posted soon on the PCA website at www.pcasite.org
Pat Arneson, Pennsylvania Communication Association, Vice President